Before beginning the assignments, it is very important to be familiar with several terms:
L1: First language/ native language
L2: Second language/ language the person is trying to learn
ESL: English as a Second Language
ELL: English Language Learners
Phonemes: smallest units of sound
Phonology: the study of sound
Morphemes: smallest units of words
Morphology: the study of word formation
Semantics: study of word meanings.
ALL of these assignments are to be done individually.
Task 1: Second Language Acquisition and the Stages of Development
1. Review the following links in regards to second language acquisition and the stages of development
- Pay particular attention to learning versus acquisition
2. Write, in your notes, the components of second language development.
3. Define, in your notes, second language acquisition in your own words.
Task 2: Combining and Applying First and Second Language Acquisition:
*** Read the attached Educational Theories PDF that is attached***
- Make Sure you Check the rubric for this assignment in the Evaluation section!!
- A slogan:
A slogan is a short phrase or sentence meant to gain attention and get a specific message across quickly. People use it primarily in advertising and politics, and in either instance, they generally are trying to make the public more familiar with someone or something. A widely recognized purpose of a slogan is to communicate information about a company, product, service or candidate, helping people become familiar with and remember what�s available. It should get the underlying mission of the business or organization across, showing commitment to consumers or voters. Resource: http://www.wisegeek.org/what-is-a-slogan.htm Make sure your slogan & illustrations are vivid, exciting, and really capture the essences of your comprehension of first and second language acquistion.
Describe what is first and second language development visually, verbally, and in writing. Use concrete, specific words, pictures, and video to show & tell. You should be descriptive, yet concrete, "paint a picture" in ones minds as it is read and viewed!!! You must have at least 6 accurate facts, 1 video, and at least 2 graphic (visual/ picture) representations of 1st and 2nd language development. The video and the graphics must support and extend the facts you choose to emphasize.
Read the EDUCATIONAL THEORIES PDF LOCATED AT THE BOTTOM OF THIS PAGE. Choose 1 theory that best fits your idea of language development and explain why you think this theory is appropriate. Identify the theory and express it on your glogster through narration. Glogsters can be narrated. Be very concrete and specific with your language use.
- You must also express the impact of this knowledge on your future career, i.e. what does knowing about language developement impact your teaching. This also needs to be done through narration. Be very concrete and specific with your language use. You may want to use the sentence prompt: Learning about first and second language development impacts me and my career because......
YOU WILLL CREATE A GLOGSTER WITH THE INFORMATION YOU GATHER & YOU WILL NARRATE THIS GLOGSTER:
Your student code is 85GUEA
Make sure you create an account with your last name, EDU 350 and your section #. If you have already created a student account with this information, you cannot edit your account properties as a student, I must edit your account properties. Let me know
If you have a glogster account from a previous class, please sign up for the student account with the code above.
TIPS FOR WORKING IN GLOGSTER:
- USE THE STUDENT SET UP INFORMATION AT THE LINK ABOVE
- YOU MAY CHOOSE ANY TEMPLATE THAT YOU LIKE
- THIS VERSION OF GLOGSTER IS INTUITIVE, SO YOU HOVER YOUR MOUSE OVER THE AREA YOU WANT TO ADD INFORMATION TOO AND THE TOOLBAR WILL SHOW.
- YOU CAN ALSO SEARCH WITHIN YOUR STUDENT GLOGSTER ACCOUNT FOR TUTORIALS.
- TO SUBMIT YOUR GLOG TO OUR CLASS, YOU PRESS THE FINISH BUTTON.
- VIEW THE GLOGSTER TUTORIAL LINKED BELOW
IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS, PLEASE POST THEM TO THE STUDENT Q & A AREA. YOU MAY HAVE THE SAME QUESTION SOMEONE ELSE HAS, AND WE CAN ALL HELP ONE ANOTHER.
PLEASE USE TUTORIALS and DIRECTIONS BELOW FOR HELP!!