Through this WebQuest, students should meet the following outcomes:
* Students will develop their ability to research in accordance with a text.
* Students will learn the importance of understanding the context of a text.
* Students will develop their ability to following instructions and criteria precisely.
* Students will develop an understanding and appreciation of other people and their stories and experiences.
* Students will develop their ability to write from the perspective of a character.
* Students will develop their ability to apply contextual facts to their written work.
* Students will develop their writing skills.
* Students will be given the opportunity to be creative.
* Students will develop the ability to recognise tone and technique in other people`s written work.
* Students will develop their ability to present information clearly and effectively.
* Students will understand key definitions relating to the text, therefore expanding their vocabulary.
This WebQuest is based upon the SACSA Curriculum.
Futures: 'Who I
want to be and how I want the world to be for me and others'
Identity: 'Who I
'Where and how I fit with others'
Thinking: 'How I
understand the world'
I express myself and interact with others'
Attached it the SACSA English Curriculum Framework.
Please note: The conclusion of this assignment is constructed as extension work. Students and you as the teacher, may or may not like to continue with the interview and artistic exercises. It is aimed at students who have finished their assignment and have already been assessed. However, if you would like too, you could used the conclusion as an introduction to a new assignment.
Other resources you may be interested in ...
* Frank, Anne, 'The Diary of a Young Girl'. New York: Doubleday/Bantam, 1995
* Kahn, Leora and Rachel Hager, eds., 'When They Came to Take My Father'. New York: Arcade Publications, 1996.
* Friedman, Ina R. The Other Victims: 'First-Person Stories of Non-Jews Persecuted by the Nazis. Boston, MA: Houghton Mifflin, 1990.
* Laird, Christa. 'Shadow of the Wall'. New York: Greenwillow, 1990.
* Yolen, Jane. 'The Devil`s Arithmetic'. New York, Puffin, 1990.
* Anti-Defamation League: adl.org
* Genocide Watch: genocidewatch.org
* The Holocaust Martyrs` and Heroes' Remembrance Authority: yadvashem.org
* Save Darfur. savedarfur.org
* 'Anne Frank - The Whole Story'. Walk Disney, 2001. Made for television.
* 'Holocaust'. Republic Pictures, 1998. Made for television mini-series.