Basic Information about the Accuplacer Placement Test
Accuplacer is an adaptive test. This means that the questions are chosen for you on the basis of your answers to previous questions.
- This is a multiple choice test.
- The test is NOT timed.
- The test requires you to choose an answer to every question - you cannot leave an item blank.
- You cannot skip a question and go back to it.
- You cannot go back to any question...ever. Once you click next, you have submitted your final answer to that question.
Test Taking Strategies
- Arrive early and prepared.
- Practice positive thinking.
- Read the instructions for each question carefully. Instructions change frequently.
- Read the question without looking at the answers.
- Use your scrap paper and work out problems to the best of your ability.
Testing Best Practices
- If you don't know the answer to the questions: (1) use the process of elimination, (2) eliminate the most obviously incorrect answers, (3) guess smart.
- The test is not timed, so: ignore other students completing ahead of you - complete at the best pace for your success.
- Use scratch paper to write out sentences if you need to see your work. Use scratch paper to work out math problems. Check your answer.