Notice: Undefined variable: ThisIsMyWebQuest in /home/zunalco/public_html/process.php on line 57
Part One - Review Basics of Fractions
In order to prepare for your tasks, let's first review some basic functions with fractions.
- Click on the link to practice finding Equivalent Fractions. Answer all seven questions found at the bottom of the webpage.
- Click on the link to play the game Factor Review.
- Click on the link to play the game Fraction Dolphins.
- Click on the link to play the game Equivalent Matching Fractions.
- Click on the link to watch and practice how to add and subtract fractions with the same denominator Adding and Subtracting Fractions with Like Denominators.
- Click on the link Visual Fractions to see how to add fractions with like and unlike denominators. Try both lines and circles to help you "see" how fractions are added and subtracted. Note: read the bottom of the screen for help in writing the solution.
Part Two - Learning to Multiply Fractions with Whole Numbers
By now you should be comfortable adding and subtracting fractions with like and unlike denominators. When you change various recipes, sometimes you don't need to add the fractions. Sometimes you need to multiply the fraction by a whole number. For instance to double 1/2 cup of flour means to multiply 1/2 by 2. Here are some websites to help you with multiplying fractions by a whole number. *Don't forget to reduce your answers*
- Watch this video to help you with multiplying fractions with whole numbers Multiplying Whole Numbers and Fractions Video.
- This website has a number of videos to help with multiplying all types of fractions Multiplying Fractions.
- Click on the link for step-by-step instructions for multiplying fractions Multiplying Fractions
- Click on the link for step-by-step instructions on how to multiply whole numbers with fractions Multiplying Whole and Mixed Numbers
- Click on the link to practice multiplying fractions with a whole number Multiplying Fractions with Whole Numbers. Scroll down to the Practice section.
- Click on the link to play the game Soccer Shootout.
- Click on the link to play the game Mystery Math.
- Watch this video to show you two ways to divide fractions Do I Have to Invert and Multiply?
- Here is an excellent site giving you step-by-step instructions on how to divide fractions Dividing Fractions.
- Watch this video to help you with dividing fractions Dividing Fractions - Flip and Dip Style.
- Click on the link to play the game Math Basketball.
Part Three -- Adjusting Recipe Practice
Let's use what you've learned about fractions to make changes to various recipes. You need to practice before changing Mr. Fieri's recipes. After all, you don't want your dishes to turn out yucky. Before you begin making changes to any recipe, it's a good idea to know measurement equivalents. I have placed a document in Google Docs to help with the equivalents.
- Pick up a copy of Nestle Toll House Cookie Recipe found in pocket folder. Double the original recipe and write the new amount and ingredients on the bottom. Hand in this document.
- Pick up a copy of Converting Recipes found in pocket folder. Complete this document and hand in.
- Open your Google Drive and create a new word processing document. Next open AllRecipes. Search for a macaroni and cheese recipe. Copy the ingredients section of the recipe. Paste the ingredients to your a Google document twice. The first recipe is your original and the second recipe is your revised recipe. It should look like the Nestle Toll House Cookie Recipe. Double this recipe and type in the new amounts below the original recipe. Print this document showing both original and revised recipes.
- Go back to the macaroni and cheese recipe at AllRecipes. Multiply the serving size by two and click 'Calculate'. Did your answers match the websites new recipe?
Part Four - The Final Recipe
When you have completed all three sections, you're now ready to help Mr. Fieri. Your task is to choose two entrees and one dessert. You will have to adjust the recipes so that everyone in your class (30 students) will enjoy Mr. Fieri's cooking. Once you've adjusted the recipes, we'll let Mr. Fieri do the rest.
- Access Mr. Fieri's website at Food Network.
- Choose two (2) main dishes and one (1) dessert. Note: Finding Mr. Fieri's desserts is very time consuming. Type in "dessert" in the search field to search within Mr. Fieri's recipes to get to the dessert recipes quickly.
- When you have made your choices, pick up a copy of Guy Fieri's Recipes from Food Network found in the pocket folder.
- Copy the ingredients portion of Mr. Fieri's recipe to the Original Recipe table. Make adjustments to this recipe and write the revised recipe in the Revised Recipe table. Remember you are feeding 30 people.
- Each recipe has its own sheet.
- Hand in your recipes when you are done.
Hand in all documents as you work through the webquest.
Notice: Undefined variable: ThisIsMyWebQuest in /home/zunalco/public_html/process.php on line 90