This webquest was written for grades 3 - 5. For the individual grade level, focus on the content pertinent to the particular grade level expectations. For higher grades or higher level students, on step 2 on the process tab, have students click on the information for grades 4th through 7th.
Missouri Social Studies Grade Level Expectations: Principles of Constitutional Democracy
3rd grade: 1.C. Understanding the main purposes of United States documents: b. Identify the purpose of the Constitution.
4th grade: 1.B. Roles of citizens and governments in carrying out constitutional principles: Identify rights included in the Bill of Rights, including freedoms of religion, speech, press; to assemble peacefully; to petition the government; and to be treated fairly by the governement. 1.C. Understanding of the main purposes of United States documents: Explain the main purpose of the Constitution and the Bill of Rights.
5th grade: 1.A. Principles of constitutional democracy in the United States: b. Identify important principles in the Constitution including: 1. limited government, 2. rule of law, 3. majority rule, 4. minority rights, 5. separation of powers, 6. checks and balances 1.A.c. Identify important principles in the Bill of Rights, such as basic rights and freedoms
National Educational Technology Standards and Performance Indicators for Students:
1. Creativity and Innovation: Students demonstrate creative thinking, construct knowledge, and develop innovative products and processes using technology. Students: c. use models and simulations to explore complex systems and issues
2. Communication and Collaboration: Students use digital media and environments to communicate and work collaboratively, including at a distance, to support individual learning and contribute to the learning of others. Students: d. contribute to project teams to produce original works or solve problems
3. Research and Information Fluency: Students apply digital tools to gather, evaluate, and use information. Students: a. plan strategies to guide inquiry, d. process data and report results
4. Critical Thinking, Problem Solving, and Decision Making: Students use critical thinking skills to plan and conduct research, manage projects, solve problems, and make informed decisions using appropriate digital tools and resources. Students: b. plan and manage activities to develop a solution or complete a project.
5. Digital Citizenship: Students understand human, cultural, and societal issues related to technology and practice legal and ethical behavior. Students: b. exhibit a positive attitude toward using technology and that supports collaboration, learning, and productivity.
6. Technology Operations and Concepts: Students demonstrate a sound understanding of technology concepts, systems, and operations. Students: a. understand and use technology systems.
Credits: Thank you to all the creators of the websites listed in this webquest. The information provided by all of these links provides very useful information for this webquest. The clipart used in this webquest is from the website: Free Patriotic Clip Art http://www.ace-clipart-art-03.htm