• Day before activity:
- Make photocopies of the student handouts.
- Gather licorice sticks, colored marshmallows, toothpicks, paperclips, and
- Snip holes in the bag(s) of marshmallows and allow them to dry slightly.
This makes the marshmallows easier to pierce with a toothpick.
- Optional: Prepare a self-closing plastic bag for each student or group
containing their activity supplies (see Detailed Materials List).
• Day of activity:
- Discuss the structure of the DNA molecule and how speciﬁ c features, such
as the sequence of chemical bases and the rules of base pairing, allow
the molecule to carry and pass on information related to the inheritance of
- Have students build an edible model of DNA with a given sequence of
U.S. National Science Education Standards
• Content Standard C: Life Science - Reproduction and Heredity; every
organism requires a set of instructions for specifying its traits; hereditary
information is contained in genes, located in the chromosomes of each cell; a
human cell contains many thousands of different genes.
Thanks to the Teach Genetics website posted by The University of Utah.