Working in small groups, students will use the Internet to create a multimedia project about tornadoes for this weather unit. The students will learn about tornadoes, how and where they form, what storm chasers do, and weather safety.
Contacting a class in Canada through email, they will tell what it is like living in "Tornado Alley." Each group will take on a different aspect of the project and then will combine all results into one big presentation. These questions should be addressed:
1. What is a tornado?
2. How and where does it form?
3. What is the scale called to measure the power of a tornado?
4. Who are tornado chasers and what do they do?
5. What does the term "Tornado Alley mean?"
6. Weather Safety. What are the signs that a tornado might be coming?
7. What should you do if you see or hear one coming?
8. What is the difference between a tornado watch and a warning?
The final presentation:
Students, now that you have all this knowledge about tornadoes, you will now create safety brochures to share with your friends and families.