Students will gain an understanding of the modern cultural and physical landscape of Southern and Eastern Asia. By learning of the diverse cultures, students will gain insight into the prominent religions of Southern and Eastern Asia and how literacy rates affect the standard of living. When examining the specific elements of culture, students will work toward a deeper understanding of how they have been integral in governance and international relations. Students will locate selected countries and physical features in the region and examine how location, climate, and physical characteristics affect where people live, the work they do, and how they travel.
1) In reference to the Himalayan Mountains, the world's tallestmountain range, what does "Himalaya" mean?
2) Which countries border the "Sea of Japan?"
3) Which countries does the "Mekong River" flow through?
4) The Yangtze River absorbed more than _____% of China's waste water,and _____% of it is untreated.
5) How has the Indian government tried to eliminate some of the pollution thatoccurs in the Ganges River?
6) Only _____% of China's city-dwellers breathe air that is considered safe bythe European Union.
7) What caused massive flooding in Beijing, China duringthe summer of 2012?
8) Where do most people in China live?
9) When will India pass China as the most populous country in the world?
10) Although India covers only 2.4% of the world's land, it supports over_____% of the world's population.
11) According to Buddhists, what is included within the "4 NobleTruths?"
12) Where are the main locations that "Hinduism" is practiced?
13) How many people in Southeast Asia practice "Islam?"
14) In the world of Shintoism, who are the "kami?"
15) Why do many people consider "Confucianism" to be a philosophy instead of a religion?
RELIGION of SOUTH EAST ASIA
1) What are the "Four Noble Truths?"
2) Why did Buddha teach the "Middle Way?"
3) Why is "meditation" important to Buddhists?
4) How many people practice Buddhism today?
5) Who is "Brahman?"
6) How does "reincarnation" work?
7) How can a Hindu reach "Moksha?"
8) What are the 4 main social positions for Hindus?
9) What do followers of Shintoism believe?
10) What are the "kami?"
11) How many shrines are located in Japan today?
12) In Japan, which other religion is often mixed withBuddhism?
13) Where is Confucianism practiced today?
14) What are the five basic virtues of Confucianism?
15) What did Confucius teach about children?