Each group will be assigned a segment of the municipal solid waste stream (aka: garbage): paper, plastics, yard waste, glass, metals, tires, batteries, electronics or household hazardous waste.
Your group will complete a worksheet and present to the class information in which you address the following:
1. Define the materials that make up your stream. What products (i.e., milk cartons, packaging, newspapers, paper plates, cans) are found in our garbage? Give a rough breakdown by weight percent and volume percent.
2. What contribution does your segment make to the overall municipal solid waste stream?
3. What options are generally available for diversion, such as re-use or recycling?
4. If re-cycling is an option, what products result, and what would need to be done to the waste material to make them suitable for sales to a recycler?
5. Compare the general environmental impacts or re-use or recycling with our current disposal method, landfilling.