“Virtual Pizz-A-Thon”: research, explore, discover and create!
Welcome to Your Tasks in Establishing a Pizza Business
You will use this blog in developing your business. See the "Student Blog"
page of this web site.
Soil:The Foundation of Your New Business
UNIT ONE: Which Soil Is Best For Growing Pizza Ingredients?
You are a part of a team who plans to set up an experiment to explore the best soil for growing pizza ingredients. (This is being conducted as the first activity in order for you to benefit from the outcome of this experiment, allowing for growth of plants prior to the last day of the Pizz-A-Thon.)
1) Do you see any relationship between pizza, soil and soil nutrients (plant food)? Explain.
2) If you planted 2 kernels of sweet corn in the topsoil and 2 kernels of sweet corn in the subsoil or sand, provided the same sunlight and watered daily with 1 tablespoon of water in each type of soil, describe what you will expect to see in two weeks from now? Also plant corn and soybeans to compare the growth of the plants and roots.
3) In your journal marked today’s date, describe what you expected to see in the plantings through out a 2 week period.
4) What actually happened and explain if that is what you expected.
5) How does this experiment demonstrate the importance of protecting our topsoil from wind and water erosion using conservation practices?
UNIT TWO: Which Pizza Is Best?
In this exercise you and your teammates are going to begin a business, a (pizzeria-pizza restaurant) , and you want to find out which pizza most people would prefer. How will you do that? Your future depends on making the correct decision. See the blog page Recipe "Prize Pizza" to see what others have done.
UNIT THREE: How Will You Publicize Your New Business?
Your team has selected a “Prize Pizza” now you need to publicize it and your business. You develop:
ogo to attract attention and serve as a brand for your business.
-a place mat to entertain kids while they wait to be served their pizza.
-a 5 minute presentation to announce your new business.
UNIT FOUR: Is Your "Prize Pizza" The Best In Town
(Prepare for being judged.)
Prepare your "Prize Pizza" for judging, remembering it will be judged on appearance, smell, taste and healthiness.
Of course the other activity the kids love is the awards ceremony. See the picture on the Title page (the winning team at the Echo Hill 4th Grade, Marion Iowa, ceremony held at the school April 2, 2013 ) to draw your own conclusion as to how excited the kids are as they receive awards. All participants receive ribbons, winning team members receive Pizz-A-Thon shirts and medallions, where there are approved annual sponsors of the program. See the blog page Virtual Pizz-A-Thon and SPONSOR OPPORTUNITY pages for more on the awards. See Recipe "Prize Pizza" page for the creative names and recipes winning in the past. Also see that page for the first pizza.
Go to "Student Business Plan" page to begin your activities.