- First you will read the factual text about the "Battle of Gettysburg".
- You will read primary source (newspaper articles) on the " Battle of Gettysburg".
- You will all watch the movie "Gettysburg" in class.
- You will write a movie review on the movie.
- You will all start reading " The Killer Angels", a book by Michael Shaara.
- While reading " The Killer Angles" you will talk about the book in assigned groups. You will write a log after you meetings about the book.
- You will also answer the Discussion Question that go along with the book.
- Your final assignment will be to write and essay that will compare the facts and fiction of the textbook, film and book.
Discussion Questions for The Killer Angels by Michael Shaara
- Did you like the book? Why or why not?
- Which of the narrators did you like the most?
- Did this book alter your opinion of Robert E. Lee?
- One of the major conflicts in the novel is the disagreement between Lee and Longstreet on hoe they should fight the battle. What does each man think the army should do? Should Longstreet have acted differently?
- Does Shaara sympathize more with the realist Longstreet or the idealist Lee?
- What qualities made Lawrence Chamberlain a successful leader?
- What did you think about the various viewpoints expressed about the cause of the Civil War?
- Was Fremantle ( The Englishman) an effective character?
- What is the purpose of Shaara's detailing the Armistead-Hancock friendship?
- Author Shaara changes some of the historical facts about the battle- for instance, he puts Chamberlain in the middle of the Union line during Pickett's Charge, whn in fact Cahmberlain was more than a mile south. Why do you think Shaara does this? Do you think it is good or bad to change the facts in a historical novel?