http://www.elizabethan-era.org.uk/religion-elizabethan-england.htm to answer these questions
8. What were the two major religions in Elizabethan England?
9. Who dictated the favoured religion?
10. Which Monarchs reigned during this time? When?
11. Which religion did each Monarch believe in?
12. How did each Monarch treat those who did not follow their favoured religion?
13. Why did Queen Elizabeth I ban all performances of religious plays and stories? http://www.musesrealm.net/writings/shakespeareengland.ht
Elizabethan Period Click here
http://www.elizabethan-era.org.uk/elizabethan-period.htm to answer these questions
14. What was the Elizabethan Period?
15. When was this period?
16. What was the most significant invention of this time and why?
17. What did this lead to a renewed interest in?
18. During this period, what were unexplained events blamed on?
19. Why were people of this period superstitious?
20. What were the four humours and what were they associated with? http://classweb.gmu.edu/rnanian/humours.html
Click here http://www.elizabethan-era.org.uk/elizabethan-clothing.htm to answer this question
21. How was Elizabethan class structure maintained?
22. What was the Chain of Being and what did it uphold? Click here http://schoolworkhelper.net/2010/08/the-chain-of-being-shakespeare/
23. What is the Rotae Fortuna? Click http://en.academic.ru/dic.nsf/enwiki/1535026
Education Click here http://internetshakespeare.uvic.ca/Library/SLT/ideas/boys.html
24. What did education depend on?
25. What was the main purpose of schooling?
26. Why were students taught Latin?
27. What were girls from wealthy families educated in? Click here http://internetshakespeare.uvic.ca/Library/SLT/ideas/girls.html
29. Why were courses in university conducted in Latin? Click here http://elizabethan.org/compendium/54.html
Elizabethan Theatre Click here to answer these questions.
30. What was the general feeling towards plays during this period in time?
31. What was the name of the first theatre?
32. What was the name of them most famous theatre?
33. What happened to this theatre?
34. Where did people sit or not sit?
35. When did they have performances? Why?
36. How many women performed in these plays?
37. what did the audience do if they didn't like the performance?
Shakespeare's Influence Click here http://www.musesrealm.net/writings/shakespeareengland.html to answer these questions
38. What does Shakespeare's work provide reference for?
39. What were Shakespeare's histories a tribute to?
40. What was Shakespeare attempting to do with these tributes?
Click here to answer these questions.
41. How many words did Shakespeare invent?
42. Give an example of a word or phrase we have gotten from Shakespeare.
43. Name one poet who was influenced by Shakespeare.
Click here for more words or phrases from Shakespeare. Write down two that you know and explain what they mean.
We all know that Shakespeare's language is a little different from ours--hey, it was written a few hundred years ago. Click on this link to be insulted "professionally." (which we will see plenty of in the play)!