STEP ONE: You will be assigned one or two other partners to work with.
STEP TWO: Research the meaning of the term utopia and write a TYPED paragraph explaining why the community Jonas lives in has utopia. Give explicit examples from the text in your response.
STEP THREE: Research other communities that have adopted a utopian like society and complete the utopian comparison chart attached at the bottom of this page. Specifically research:
a. Victory City
STEP FOUR: RESEARCH GOVERNMENT
Check out the following websites to make your decision. Complete the Government Research Notes Chart on the bottom of this page. At the conclusion of your research, please choose what type of government will be present in your community.
STEP FIVE: RESEARCH MONEY
Click on the following links to gather information about currency in different countries. You are to choose FIVE actual countries to gather information on. Complete the Money Graphic Organizer on the bottom of this page.
STEP SIX: Now that you have an idea about utopia and other communities that have adopted this idea; it is time to create your own. Type your answer to each question being sure to restate each question in your response. Use the information from steps two through five to assist you with this process. RESPONSES TO EACH QUESTION SHOULD BE 6 TO 10 SENTENCES IN LENGTH.
1. What is the name of your community? Where is it located?
2. What type of utopia is present in your community (political, economic, scientific)? Give specific examples of how your community is any particular type of utopia.
3. What kind of government is present in your community?
a. How are decisions made? Who makes those decisions?
b. Are there specific rules your community must follow?
4. What will the educational system be like?
a. How old are children when they enter school?
b. At what age will a child "graduate" from school?
c. Do they receive special training for adulthood?
d. Does your educational system include holidays?
e. What are the school hours? What does the school day look like?
5. How should the community members receive medical care?
a. Is it free for all community members?
b. Are there limits as to the type of medical care an individual can get?
c. How does your community handle emergencies? Do you have a hospital or a clinic? Is there a pharmacy in your community?
6. Is there a limit on how many members are accepted into your community?
a. What is the process to becoming a member of your community (i.e. interview, application, etc...)?
7. What kind of money is used (if any) and how will it be distributed to community members? (refer to Step 5)
8. What kind of recreational activities are available to community members and how will they participate? Be specific.
9. Are jobs assigned? Who makes those decisions?
STEP SEVEN: Create a map of your community. Make sure it is colorful. You can use posterboard or construction paper for your drawing. Your picture must include five points of interest (i.e. important buildings, bodies of water, boundaries, dwellings, gardens, etc...). Include a key that identifies the five points of interest.
STEP EIGHT: Create a PowerPoint presentation that illustrates what your community is like. You must adhere to the following guidelines:
1. Must have at least 9 slides (one per question from step 6)
2. Slides must include animations, pictures, and slide transitions. Sound animation is optional.
3. Final slide must include a list of sources
When presenting, explain each slide (do not read directly from the slide).
IMPORTANT DUE DATES:
1. Utopia Definition and Utopian Comparison Chart - March 28th
2. Government Research Notes and Money Graphic Organizer- March 30th
3. Planning Questions - April 3rd
4. Picture, Project, and Presentations will take place ON April April 4th and 5th