*Read all instructions FIRST, both carefully and thoroughly, and ask questions as needed.
*Type your complete, well-thought out responses to each question in a word document or neatly handwrite.
*Utilize captions as needed when watching videos or read transcripts.
*You may collaborate with a partner to discuss or reflect if you choose, however each student needs to turn in their own original work.
*Do not rush, take your time, and put forth deep thought. And have fun!
Step 0.5 - Watch First
*Keep this in mind while you complete the following steps!
Step 1 - Read & Respond (Day 1 & 2)
*Read each article and respond with a quick write. This is meant to prompt thoughtful, spontaneous responses.
- America the Dystopia?
- Re-read the first 5 paragraphs - Based on these examples, write a brief description of "dystopia."
- Re-read paragraph 10 - It talks about political correctness vs. free speech. Is one interfering with another in today's society? Give an example.
- Re-read the last paragraph - Do you think millennials are equipped to reintroduce "diversity of thought?" Provide supporting points.
- Watch the video from 7:05 to 9:05
- What is an echo chamber?
- How is the Facebook NewsFeed filter algorithm beneficial to companies? Does it pose any dangers to society?
- Is the "filter bubble" new? Or is it a digital version of an echo chamber? Explain your reasoning.
- Watch the video. Which is the ideal type of government and why? Provide support for your opinion.
- Which type of government is used in BNW? Is there an economic system used in BNW government? Provide examples to support your answers.
Step 2 - Select & Support (Day 3 & 4)
*Read each statement and question. Then use the information in the links and your BNW book to formulate a response. Make sure to respond to key questions marked with a double **asterisk.
1. Evaluate components of a caste or class system and assess how they might influence identity. Give 5 examples of a caste or class system and why it does or does not influence identity, for both BNW and a real-world society. Support your answers with fact from the resources below and/or your BNW book. **How can individual identity still thrive within these systems?
2. Evaluate the ways in which government uses classification to exert control over its citizens. Using information from the links, give 3 examples from real-world societies. Support how these societies portray similar characteristics to that of the World State from BNW. **Despite classification, are citizens still capable of effecting change within these governments, both in BNW and the real world?
3. Examine which types of government use caste or class systems. Give 3 examples of countries or nations using these systems, and give 3 similarities between each. Support your answers with fact from the resources below and/or your BNW book. **Are these countries any better or worse than others who do not actively rely on a caste or class system? Defend your position with fact.
Step 3 - Create (Day 5 & weekend)
1. Venn Diagram - Create a Venn Diagram between BNW and a real-world society or between two different societies. Choose either two real-world societies from the examples given, or research your own. Include at least 5 items in each section of the diagram (15 items total). Save to your folder.
2. Identity Collage - Create a collage as a visual representation of your identity. Think about what makes you unique - characteristics, activities, interests. Include how you express your identity. Reflect on how you feel the government in which you live supports or presents challenges to your identity. Use key words and pictures that represent concepts. Get creative! Write a brief explanation for your visual. Save both to your folder.