World War I Propaganda Poster
The year is 1917 and America has joined Great War in Europe after a decade of isolationsim. You work for the Committee on Public Information making war propaganda posters to be distributed throughout America, and need to turn Americans from isolationism to interventionism, encouraging all sorts of behaviors to help win the war!
Below are instructions to start your poster. Make sure you read everything first and include all the items asked for. You will be graded on your visual communication skills and the quality of your final product. So make sure your information is communicated clearly and creatively!
FOLLOW EXACTLY TO LOGIN TO THE RIGHT GROUP!
- Go to https://www.postermywall.com/index.php/landingpage and click on Log in in the top right corner. (if you are still logged in to the other group for the Yellow Press part, you need to logout first!)
- Look down on the Left side and Click the Student Login button and then enter the project name, "Test Project 3rd Period Part B" or "Test Project 4th Period Part B".
- Click on "Create a Design" and then choose a Temple Design (poster or Instagram post works well)
When your choices come up, Choose a Solid Color, pick a color, then choose Apply.
- In the right pane where it says "Title", change "A New Design" to your first and last name.
- Click the Save button to save your poster in the this group. (don't download, just click Close)
- Save your work frequently. You can get in later and edit, but make sure you don't lose your work!
- Read on for the criteria I need to see on this poster...
CRITERIA: Your goal as part of the Committee of Public Information is to get Americans to support the war. Your poster must be easy to understand and convincing...this is what propaganda is! If you need to rewatch parts of the WWI video we used in class the other day, the link is found here (use IE to launch). You MUST include the words in blue in your poster in some form:
___ (5 pts) Tell Americans which side we are joining (Triple Entente or Central Powers?...you know which side America fought on, right?)
___(5 pts)Include one graphic of a type of weapon or fighting tactics you would be likely to see in World War One (like don't put a photo of an AR-15...those didn't exist!).
___(10 pts)Request for Americans at home to conserve or ration something. Click here to see some suggestions from actual World War I posters. You need to include something specific (victory garden, "meatless Mondays", etc...use the link to search others!)
___(5 pts)Request for Americans to buy liberty bonds. You have to tell them WHY...don't just say "buy bonds"...that's not enough to be convincing.
___(5 pts)Request wealthy Americans or businesses to pay their "profit tax" OR "luxury tax" on certain items that also helps our government pay for the war.
___(5 pts)Request Americans to register for the Selective Service Act...your poster should explain WHY this action is necessary.
___(5 pts)Add graphics related to any of the above homefront requests...you can copy/paste these by googling "world war one homefront photos".
You earned _____ out of 40 pts (-10 if late)
THE DUE DATE FOR PART B IS BY 8AM ON TUESDAY MORNING, SEPT 4TH...THAT'S WHEN I'M GRADING WHATCHA GOT POSTED!