1. Refresh your memory about the map skills you already have.
--> Visit this Symbaloo to play some map skills games. Read the descriptions to find a game that will help YOU in an area you need.
2. Hone your map skills vocabulary.
Make a Google Presentation for the following map skills vocabulary and SHARE it with your teacher.
On each slide include:
- the word at the top in bold, bigger lettering
- a picture that helps you remember the word
- a definition of the word (hint: Don't use words you don't know.)
- Bonus: Use the word in a sentence.
Map Skills Vocabulary Word Bank:
* prime meridian
* compass rose
* cardinal directions
* intermediate directions
* map key or legend (they are synonyms)
* line of latitude
* line of longitude
* map scale
3. Look at a variety of Google Maps.
Please go in order!
a. Check out this Google Map of Amusement and Water Parks in the United States!
b. Check out this Google Map of Endangered Species around the World!
c. Discuss with your classmates here.
d. Just for fun - search the Google Maps Gallery for a topic you're interested in.
4. Make your own Google Map with places you've been.
Log in to Google Maps and create your own map!
Make a Google Map of at least 5 places you've been. They can be local places (like Lakeview Elementary) or global places (like Tallahassee, Florida). Each peg must have a description that's at least 2 sentences long.
When we're all finished, we'll share our maps with each other!