In order to earn your "free lunch," your teacher will divide you into five groups. Each group will be assigned a restaurant to visit for lunch, but before you can go you must decide who will fill each of the following roles:
The Restaurant Recorder is in charge of filling in the Order Ticket with the food choices and prices of each of your group members. Remember that you need to make sure that each member orders a drink and a meal; the group must pick one appetizer to share. Your group will work together to add up the total price of your meal, and you will record it on the ticket.
The Thrifty Tipper is in charge of figuring out how much to tip your waitress. You will work with your group to take the total price of your meal, plus the tax, and multiply it by 10%, 15%, and 20%. Your team will record each tip amount on the Tip Calculation Sheet, and then decide how much you are willing to leave for a tip.
The Tasty Taxer is in charge of figuring out how much tax will be added on to your group's food bill. You will use the sales tax finder website to determine the sales tax in your state, and multiply it by your total food bill. The tax will be recorded on the group's Order Ticket, and then you will find the total cost of your meal.
The Delicious Divider is in charge of helping the group divide the total cost of the meal and the tip equally among the members of the group. You will take the total price of the meal, plus the tip, and divide it by the number of members in your group. You will record this dollar amount on the Order Ticket Sheet.
The Charming Change-maker will be in charge of helping each group member determine the change they should receive from the waitress when they pay their bill. You will record how much each member gives the waitress, and how much change they should expect to receive.
1. Each member of the team will be given $20 to spend on their lunch.
2. The team should click on their assigned restaurant link below, and look through the menu.
3. Each member of the team must pick a drink and a meal. The team must pick one appetizer to share. The Restaurant Recorder should write down each group members' choices and the price for each item on the Food Order Ticket (download below).
4. Individually, you will each add up the total price of your meal (drink and food). Then, as a group, you will add each members' totals together, plus the cost of the appetizer. The Restaurant Recorder should record this information on the Order Ticket.
***If your restaurant does not include a price for drinks, please use $2.50.
5. The Tasty Taxer will now use the sales tax finder website to determine the sales tax for your group's food. Visit the site, find your state sales tax, and multiply the tax by the total food price. Please show your work and record your answer on the Tax and Tip sheet that can be downloaded below.
Example: Food Bill = $58.00 Tax = 7%
Tax % x Food Bill .07 x 58=$4.06 of Tax
6. Now, the group will need to decide how much to tip their waitress. The Thrifty Tipper will help the group to figure out and record how much it will cost to tip 10%, 15%, and 20%. The group will decide what percent tip to leave and add that amount to the Final Food Price on the Food Order Ticket. Please show your work for figuring the tip and record your answer on the Tax and Tip sheet.
Example: Final Food Price: $60.00
10% $60 x .10 = $6.00 Tip
15% $60 x .15 = $9.00 Tip
20% $60 x .20 = $12.00 Tip
7. The Delicious Divider must work with the group to take the TOTAL MEAL COST (including food cost, tax, and tip) and divide it by the number of members in the group. This answer will be the total that each member must pay to the waitress. Please show your work and record your answer on the Cost Calculation Sheet that you can download below.
8. Each group member will give the waitress a $20 bill. The Charming Change-Maker must subtract the amount each member owes from $20 to determine the change. Record the bills and coins that each team member should expect to receive as change from the waitress. Please show your work and record your answer on the Cost Calculation Sheet.
9. When your group has completed the Webquest you will turn in the Food Order Ticket, the Tax and Tip Worksheet, and the Cost Calculation Sheet. Please make sure all of your names are on each page.