Note: Please divide your time wisely, youonly have 90 minutes to finish this web quest.
What is a computer?
What is the strategy of developing applications?
You may have many questions regarding this topic, therefore to begin with
Read the following topics:
- Hardware and Software
- What is Software Development Life Cycle (SDLC)?
- Characteristics of Java
Note: A link to each topic is available in the resources below.
Note: For the first topic, only read the first page.
- What is Java and the Java VM?
Note: A link to the video is available in the resources below.
- Decide on a two characteristics you like about JAVA.
- Write in your own words a justification of your selection, provide examples if applicable. (Minimum 100 words).
Answer the following question:
- What is the role of the JAVA Virtual Machine (JAVA VM)?
Example of different programming levels:
006300D ADA TOTAL
High Level languages
COBOL ADD VALUE TO TOTAL
FORTRAN TOTAL = TOTAL + VALUE
Pascal total := total + value
C,C++, Java total += value;
Note: A list of the Layered Architecture is included in the resources below.
Watch the PHP vs. Python vs. Ruby vs. Java vs. .NET video below to get an overview of the differences between the different programming languages.
There are many programs that support the development of Java software, including but not limited to:
- Sun Java Development Kit(JDK)
- IBM Eclipse
- Borland JBuilder
NetBeans is going to be used to complete the following task.
Watch the NetBeans Overview video in the resources below to learn more about its unique features.
- Install the NetBeans IDE (Optional).
- Run the application.
- NetBeans is already installed in Bahrain Polytechnicslab computers.
- The latest version of NetBeans can be found in the links section below.
Build your first application using the JAVA language.
Follow the tutorial "Hello World!" for the NetBeans IDE.
A link to the tutorial can be found in the links section below.
Note: You are not required to compile the application.
Create a new application to display the following 2 lines.
JAVA is simple.
JAVA is portable.