You and your group (4 students) will be a working team. You must follow the steps below for success. Good luck!
1. Roles: Everyone in the group will collect evidence, read, write, create and keep track of your individual contributions to the group... In addition, you will also have specific roles to perform.
President ~ You are the group's leader/facilitator. You are responsible for keeping the group organized and getting the work done on time. You will fill out the President's Report (see attachment #A) and note the contributions that each team member has made.
Researcher ~ You will fill out the Economy Game Checklist (see attachment #B) and also research all the facts/evidence to explain your group's answer to the 2 essential questions: Does the U.S. economy enable or block ordinary people from meeting their basic needs? Is the U.S. economy fair or rigged?
Marketing Director ~ You are in touch with the consumer. You need to keep checking to ensure that your company's board game is FUN, CLEAR, and EDUCATIONAL about the economy. You will also check the Writing Rules of the Game attachment to make sure that consumers can understand the directions. (See attachment #C).
Creative Director ~ You are the company's artistic wizard. You know that the game needs to be attractive, carefully designed and original. You will fill out the group Status Report upon request from Commissioner Wilson. (See attachment #D).
2. Time Frame: You will have 2 weeks to work on this Webquest and one day to share your game with others. You will need to submit a group status report when requested by Commissioner Wilson. (See attachment #D).
3. The Mission: Each group member will have an individual assignment and a group assignment.
Individual ~ You will write a one page, typed application for a promotion. In it you will explain the following:
- What you have contributed to the company team to help make it successful.
- Your personal answer to the 2 essential questions.
- Evidence to support your answer to these questions.
Group ~ You will be assigned to a group. Once you know which group you are part of, follow these steps below.
- Choose your roles, decide on a name for your company and select your topic. (See attachment #E). *Note: You must hand this paper in to Commissioner Wilson right away in order to register your company with the FTC.
- Open up your Economy Game Checklist (See attachment #B) and check off each step as you move along. This will help your group to stay organized.
- Choose an economics topic (click on link). Read the textbook pages for your topic and fill out the Double Entry Journal (See attachment #I). You will select 5 facts or ideas from the reading on your topic. You will also include your group's comments about each fact.
- Write a short report: (a) one paragraph summary about what you read. (b) second paragraph explaining your group's answer to the 2 essential questions.
- Gather additional pieces of evidence from 2 other sources, e.g., Internet, newspaper, reference book. Fill out the Additional Evidence Sheet (see attachment #H). *Note: be sure to include these citations in the material you submit to Commissioner Wilson.
- Brainstorm ideas for your group's board game which demonstrate economic facts about your topic and also your answer to the 2 essential questions. (See attachment #F).
- Check the rubric on the Evaluation page to make sure that you game receives an excellent rating from Commissioner Wilson.
- Create a "mock" version on paper of your game, e.g., what it will look like.
- Create your actual game using materials from class and home.
- *Note: be prepared to fill out a group Status Report upon request from Commissioner Wilson.
Game Day [MAY 23rd] ~ Now that you have done your research and created your game, you are ready to show it to Commissioner Wilson and get it rated. You will also have another company play your game. *Note: Your game must be finished on Game Day and ready to play. They will fill out a Peer Board Game Rating Sheet for your game (See attachment #G). This will be shared with you and Commissioner Wilson.