Step 1: Define Your Role
Determine the roles of your group members: (1) Anchorman, (1) Meteorologist, 1 (Field Interviewer), 1 (Farmer)
Step 2: Research
Each student should work independently to find information that is appropriate for their role. You should focus on the guidelines below, but certainly do not limit yourself to them.
- You should look for general information that provides an overview of the Great Depression. Focus on topics such as GEOGRAPHY, FARMING TECHNIQUES, WESTERN MIGRATION, WEATHER PATTERNS, and EFFECTS of the Dust Bowl. It is your job to provide an overview of the Dust Bowl and lead the News Team. Use the Anchorman Resources Below to start (Resource Number 1, 2, 8, 11).
- You are going to give the audience a reason behind this horrible disaster. Basically you need to answer the question, "What caused the Dust Bowl?" Through answering this you should research GEOGRAPHY, FARMING TECHNIQUES, and WEATHER PATTERNS during the Dust Bowl that might provide some insight into what caused this horrible natural disaster. Use the Meteorologist Resources Below to start (Resource Number 3, 7, 8, 12).
- It is your job to get a little dirty and bar the harsh conditions. You are going to provide viewers with a first hand look at the horrible conditions created by the Dust Bowl. You should report from a farm and you will be interviewing the farmer. While researching you should focus your search on FARMERS, EFFECTS, WESTERN MIGRATION, and DEVASTATION all during the Dust Bowl. Once you find quality information you will use it to interview the farmer. Use the Interviewer Resources Below to Start (Resource Number 4, 5, 8).
- You are to take on the role of a farmer who is being directly affected by the Dust Bowl. You live on a farm that has been devastated by the natural disaster and you want to share your story with the rest of the world. When researching focus on FARMING TECHNIQUES, LIFE OF A FARMER, WESTERN MIGRATION, and DEVASTATION all during the Dust Bowl. You and the interviewer will eventually work together to provide a detailed in depth interview about the Dust Bowl. Use the Farmer Resources Below to Start (Resource Number 4, 5, 8).
Step 3: Create Your Script
This webquest requires you to turn in two products upon completion of the assignment. The first of the two products is the script. The script can be developed any way you like, but must be submitted to me only after it has been completed on WWW.SCRIPTBUDDY.COM.
Create an Account (Use a Username and Password that everyone in the group has access to)
Once logged in, click on My Account
Click the New Screenplay button and title your script. (Example: DBN 12 or The Dusty News, be creative)
Once your New Screen Play is created push the open button, which will open a new winder where you can begin creating/writing your script.
First, on the right, find the section that says OUTLINE and click the plus sign (+).
Once the add scene box appears, type Anchorman and click ok.
Repeat steps 5-6 two more times so that you have a total of 3 scenes labeled as Anchorman, Meteorologist, and Farmer/Interviewer.
Once you have all the scenes entered you must enter the characters. Click on the plus sign (+) to the right of the CHARACTERS section.
Type in the Character Cue and Full Name. (ANC, Anchorman; MET, Meteorologist; FAR, Farmer; INT, Interviewer) You should have a total of 4 characters.
Writing the Script:
Use the information you researched and create a script for the entire News Broadcast. Follow the following steps to create the script on ScriptBuddy.com.
Now you can begin writing the script. Decide who's script you will write by clicking on the scene titles. Once on the correct scene page scroll over the header and click ADD DIALOG.
The ADD DIALOG box will appear and here is where you type in the lines for each character, just simply write what you want each character to say in the larger box and click ok. The Anchorman should have dialog with all of the characters. The meteorologist will have dialog with the Anchorman. The Farmer and Interviewer will have dialog with each other and the Interviewer will have dialog with the Anchorman.
Publishing the Script:
Once the scripts are created and completely finished click on the WORLD icon at the top of the page. This is how you will publish your script so that I can read it.
In the Publish Screenplay box that appears click YES, then Next.
- Allow all users to read your screenplay, then click Next.
- Under Genre select Documentary. Select a G rating. And provide a description of the assignment, then click Next.
- Use the Default Copy Right message, then click Next.
- Enter everyone's name in the group under the Author. Leave the email address section blank, then click Next. Your script will be approved my administrators and an email notification will be sent to you.
- Once you receive the notification, copy the link to the script and hand this in with your final project.
Step 4: Record Your News Broadcast
Once you have completed the script and it provides important information about the Dust Bowl that answers the question, "How were Americans affected by the Dust Bowl?" you will begin recording your New Broadcast. You may use any video recording device as long as it is compatible with my computer, VCR, or DVD Player (if you are unsure, check with me first).
Your video should include and meet the following requirements:
An Intro with Music
Everyone in the Group on screen
5-7 Minutes Long
Little to no mistakes
Credits (can be written and displayed on camera)
At least 2 Props (Maps, Microphones, etc.)
Below is a video that provides you with suggestions to create a video (Resource Number 10).
Once your video is completed, it should be turned in with your script web address.