1. The students will will work in groups using the internet to answer the following questions:
a. What are the five themes of geography and how do they impact people's lives?
b. What is agriculture and how does it impact my life?
c. What goods and products do farmers produce?
2. The groups will create a poster-sized web of the five themes of geography.
3. The groups will list the goods and products produced by farmers. Each member will write a one page
report explaining why these goods/products are important to them.
Five Themes of Geography
definitions of agriculture
crops in Illinois
1. The students will research a group of Native Americans from Illinois' history.
2. The students will identify goods produced and made by the Native Americans.
3. Each group will design a Venn diagram comparing and contrasting the products/goods produced by
the Native Americans to the products/goods we use today. The students can use words and/or pictures to
complete the diagram.
1. The groups will define needs and wants. Each student will generate a list of needs/wants and switch
with a partner. The students will determine whether the item is a need or want and place it under the
correct category. The group will discuss the lists and generate a final chart displaying the items as needs
and wants and provide a rationale.
wants vs. needs
needs and wants
needs and wants video