TASK 1. Work with the resources given and answer the questions.
- Go to the page on language families and say, what language family English language belongs to?
- What language was spoken in Britain before the 5th century?
- Where does the name England come from?
- What are the three periods of English and how are they called?
- What words English has borrowed and from what languages? What is the cultural or historical background of these borrowed words?
- How many words approximately were invented by W. Shakespeare? Give examples.
- Why and how has English become a global language (Lingua Franca)? How many people speak it as a first or second language?
Create a presentation (Powerpoint slides or on paper) where you
- show where the English language is situated on the language family tree
- show the timeline of the development of the English language
- give the most important points on the timeline and examples of the language at that point
- choose the most interesting or surprising aspect of English language development and present it to others (again, give examples!)