Team 4: Monument to the Stars
- Understand the factors that led to the rise of the Gupta Empire.
- Identify the great accomplishments made in mathematics and science during the Gupta era.
Indian scientists and mathematicians are credited with the creation of important concepts that played essential roles in the development of advanced technology and scientific theories. The famed Indian mathematician-astronomer Aryabhatta established himself as one of the most influential contributors to the math and science world with the publication of his treatise Aryabhatiya (written when he was 23 years old). In this document he theorized about astronomy, trigonometry, arithmetic, and algebra. Centuries before Copernicus, he correctly identified that the earth rotates on an axis and revolves around the sun.
The local college, the University of Aryabhatta, has asked for a design of a monument for its namesake, Aryabhatta, the renowned Indian scientist and mathematician from the 5th century CE. This memorial must epitomize concepts of mathematical, astronomical and scientific understanding demonstrated by Aryabhatta. As a local artist and admirer of Aryabhatta, you have decided to enter the competition. You must submit a design or model of the memorial and a justification of each element's inclusion, as well as a description of the modern importance of each item.
- Review assignment requirements.
- Research Aryabhatta and his accomplishments in the field of mathematics and science, noting potential items that could be included in the memorial.
- Design the memorial and, if possible, make a model of it.
- Write your description of the memorial.
- Share your memorial with classmates.