The year is 1866 and the North has won the Civil War, but everyone wants to know what this means for the United States and the world. You are a newspaper reporter and your task is to explain to the world the main causes, outcomes, and consequences of the Civil War. Your news report will include a well-written article, illustration, and public news briefing aimed at informing those who know little or nothing about the Civil War.
- What do you see as the causes that lead up to the Civil War?
- What were the similarities and differences between the Northern States and the Southern States?
- What role did the issue of slavery play in the Civil War?
- What role did the secession of the Southern States play in the Civil War?
- What role, if any, did other countries play in the outcome of the war?
- What is the United States like now that the war is over?
- What might some of the lasting effects of the war be on the United States? For example, the outcome of the war may be setting the stage for American citizens to have certain rights; what might these rights include?
- Was this a justifiable war?