Many workers were forced to evacuate when a hospital in India caught on fire. The fire started in the basement and employees moved quickly to stay away from the blaze. Many of the patients and visitors were not able to get away from the hospital and were not helped by the workers. Most of the victims died from smoke inhalation. The fire wounded several others.
The authorities verified that the fire started around 4 A.M. in the basement of the hospital. The cause of the fire is believed to be safety violations found in the basement.
Six managers of the hospital have been arrested for culpable homicide and negligence. Many citizens were shocked that the employees did not make a valid attempt to save patients and visitors before escaping themselves.