In this presentation calories are the units of energy. And having too much calories such as in high calorie foods you can gain weight and become either overweight or obese. In your foods you consume carbohydrates, proteins, and fats, you can convert these all into calories using simple arithmetics. If you don't get enough carbohydrates or proteins your nutrition level will be unbalanced and you won't healthy no matter how skinny you are. To remain skinny some people have eating disorders such as bulimia and anorexia to lose w=more weight. Being a bulimic means that you binge than purge, when you are an anorexic you starve yourself. When you have an eating disorders there are some chemical pathways in the brain that are tampered with. With eating eating disorders people suffer from both physical and mental problems. "Fad" diets are also ways that people try to lose weight people also who suffer from bulimia and anorexia also suffer the same things as people that are on "fad" diets.
I hope you were able to get a well understanding of how your health and nutrition are so closely related. Through the exploration of this website you should have been able to attain the following information:
- What calories are and how they can be measured
- Difference between high and low calorie foods
- How to convert carbs, protein, and fat into calories
- The relationship between Calories and body weight
- Signs and symptoms of anorexia and bulimia
- Health problems associated with eating disorders (both physical and mental)
- What happens of you do not consume enough proteins or carbohydrates
- What are Fad diets and why are they bad
- The chemical pathways that are altered
If your able to fully understand all these concepts well you have done an excellent, go to the evaluation and quiz page to assess yourself!